- Finnish Heater;
- Russian Heater;
- Swedish Heater;
- Tyrolean Stove;
It is sometimes known as a Thermal Mass Heater which describes the way it works.
Our heaters are in the Finnish Contra-flow style.
See the history sheet on our information page.
Masonry heaters have been shown to have many advantages over other heaters. These include:
- better efficiency and safety than metal wood-burning heaters;
- reduced environmental impact;
- no constant loading (you only burn them once or twice a day);
- improved indoor air quality and;
- design flexibility to suit your home style.
Masonry heaters have been traditionally custom-designed and built by specialists, making them very expensive and difficult to source away from their usual areas of use. As a result, they haven’t been available in Australia.
Heavenly Heat imports the Tempcast masonry heater from Canada. This comes as a self-assembly core around which you build your own choice of facing. We can also import a soapstone facing if you would like. See the core construction here.
The facing can be brick, stone, concrete or any other masonry material with or without a rendered finish. In Europe decorative glazed tiles are used to face the heaters turning some of them into real works of art. For examples see:
Various configurations are possible:
- Standard for heating a single space; or built against a masonry wall to heat an adjoining space.
- See-through for a visible fire in two rooms or as a room divider.
- A Corner configuration which can also be built into masonry walls to heat three spaces simultaneously.
In addition a bake-oven can be fitted above the main firebox, great for cooking a pizza on a cold evening.
See our information sheets for more details.